Monday, January 28, 2013

What's it like to be deaf in my words?

This is how I feel .. Some other deaf people and I may have different perspectives so don't think we are all the same. :)

I'm watching a tv show that looks interesting. It doesn't have captions.

I need to get my fiancé's attention and he's nowhere to be found. I have to look in each room to look for him so I can ask or tell him something simple.

There's a severe thunderstorm going on during the night. I'm tired. I went to bed hoping Dick and I won't be flown away to a different state due to a tornado.

I go up to a cashier at McDonald's asking for paper and pen to write the order down. He or she tends to misunderstand what I was trying to 'say.' Getting a little fed up, I had to move my lips slowly P-a-p-e-r p-e-n. One time I had my purse with me and I usually bring pen with me but I don't use it because I'm selfish. :) One stupid lady got all pissed at me and pointed at my purse saying 'you have one!' I just stood there waiting for a pen for a long time. too bad. Really, they should be able to provide what I need. Paper and pen can be found pretty much everywhere, right?

Every time I go into a store, especially the mall ones, the employees ALWAYS ask 'May I help you with anything?' Or 'is there anything specific you were looking for?' Or whatever they ask. I always sign I'm deaf or give a gesture out saying I'm ok. Know what their responses usually are? Oh I'm sorry. I hate pity. Why are they sorry? Embarrassed they talked to me? Sorry I'm deaf? I dont know. Well, I'm sorry you're hearing.

Dick and I enjoy going to places together. People go up to us telling us stuff. No eye contact. So I had to wave to get their attention to let them know we are deaf. They look at Dick and started to talk to him. He said I'm deaf too. They just looked and walked away.

What is the radio for? I never use it in my car.

I can feel the music. I can dance, but I'm shy. Maybe after 10, 11 cans or bottles of beer, I'll dance the night away. Ha.

Dick and I go to Crossfit. We miss a lot of information but do we complain? No. A discount would be nice because we don't get 100% of what the coaches are saying. Ha ha. Just kidding. No pity allowed. I think we pretty much get 20%, more or less, of what the coaches are saying.

Everyday at work, there's a safety meeting or whatever it is called at the beginning before we all go to work. Do we get all of the information of what is being said? No. Having an interpreter would be nice but silly since the meeting usually lasts for about 5-10 minutes. At least, our boss knows a little bit of sign and he always print paperwork out summarizing what will be talked about at the mini meeting, but still, that's not the same.

Softball. I love softball. It's my passion. I tend to play with hearing players because of the competition. I really hate when I'm feeling left out. I go home and cry once in awhile. Not cry, but feeling disappointed, mainly. I never know what the score is. I always have to ask what's the score and that's getting old. People always laugh and I'm like, what are you laughing about? What are you talking about? I just don't let it bother me till I go home and talk to Dick about it. I then realize I'm thankful to have the skills I have because I'm sure there are people out there that think deaf people can't do it.

I drive my own motorcycle. Some say, how did you get a motorcycle license? Um. Really? I can read. I can see. I "hear" with my eyes.

I drive a stick shift. How? Practice. I'm used to it. I learned from my dad when I was 11.

Going to a movie theatre is tough. We have to use this rear whateveritscalled caption view. It's better than nothing, I guess. I'm sure people giggle at us and wonder what that is for. Duh, we are deaf and need to understand the movie better. We mostly rent movies or watch on Netflix which is easier.

Ok, that's all for now. There are so many obstacles/barriers out there but we just stay strong. Attitude is everything. Being positive helps. It is what it is.



3 comments:

  1. I never learned signing to the ability I wanted to .... then I felt dumb trying to 'talk' to you bc I was so painfully slow to your ability. I always thought you were so nice & sweet (& still do) .... really pretty too. In Winterset, where I am now, there is a husband & wife who are deaf with 3 hearing children. Because of you, I remember enough (I wish more) to say hi & chit chat ... from what I've gathered I talk to him more than any other people in town... and then my husband teases me bc the dad crosses the street to say hi :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how things worked out. I've always thought no one wanted to be my friends in high school. Later, way later, I find out a lot of people were 'scared' to approach me just because I was deaf. They didn't know what to say or how to react. I'm glad at least you know a little bit of sign so you're able to communicate with the people in Winterset. I'm sure that guy who crosses the street really appreciate that you make an effort to talk with him. I guess I made a difference because you never know who you'll bump into in the future.

      Thank you for the sweet compliments. Do people still call you Krissi? :)

      Delete
  2. You have a positive attitude Mollie. I don't think hearing people realize the challenges you face being deaf as you explained. I find the deaf facinating. When I was in high school I worked with a deaf gal. Nobody would try to communicate with her so I would check out sign books from the library.
    I wanted to meet you and Dick at last weeks Crossfit class but my signing skills are severely lacking. Wish I would have put the signs I'm learning at ISD deeper into my memory . All I can do is keep learning .
    Keep your chin up and a smile on your face:)
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete